Eighth Residence Continued . .  .


271  It was about a half hour since the accident when I got back to their house. I drove up and got out of the truck and went to the door. They let me in and weren't nearly so anxious. I said I didn't mean to leave in such a hurry, but I had something I needed to do. They said they understood, and said they had already called the police, who were on their way. And would I please wait. About five or ten minutes later the policeman drove up, and I walked out to meet him. All I remember is how impersonal he was, of being treated like a slab of meat. I offered no resistance but it was readily apparent who was in control. There were no theatrics, but it was clearly a show of force, as he forced my arms behind my back, tied the plastic tie around my wrists and muscled me into the car. The fact that I went along voluntarily had nothing to do with it.

272  I didn't bother to say anything after we got in the car, there was no point. I assumed we were going to the police station, but we drove to Josephine Memorial Hospital instead, where I was held the next few days for observation. They put me in a room by myself, with four walls and a door and, not having been to the hospital for so long, I assumed it was standard fare. I don't remember them locking the door.

273  Thus being in the hospital with nothing to do, I spent all my time in bed, and continued to stage my marriage, my conquests, and maintain my camaraderie with Roy. While I remember how courteous and helpful the hospital staff was. They didn't treat me like I had done something wrong, but like any other special guest. I even thought they were on to me about my identity, and considered it due treatment for the conquering hero. It was actually quite relaxing but, it was just the lull before the storm.

274  At one point my insurance agent called, and told me not to worry about the accident, for everything was taken care of. There was also a lady from the mental health services who came to interview me and explain my options. It was fairly pleasant until she spoke about taking medication, and said I could avoid what was otherwise quite unpleasant—going to the mental hospital. We went around with this for about a half-hour, but I was reluctant, for it went against what I believed and what had been so thoroughly drummed into my head by Roy. That taking drugs only masked over the symptoms and offered only temporary relief, and made you more dependent on them. Nor was I ready to give up my wonderful illusions.

The Hearing

275  A day or two later the hearing was held. The mental health people were there, my neighbors were there, and possibly a policeman was there. It was rather brief and didn't last more than forty-five minutes, and we began to talk about my behavior. I remember how nervous my neighbor's wife was, and how deeply infatuated I was, yet I didn't say anything, for I was hoping it was understood. It was fairly routine, but the bottom line was clear, take the medication—i.e., lithium—or go to the hospital. Someone had also talked to my boss at work, who told them about my fantasy about my neighbor's wife, which I didn't find out until later [n290]. There wasn't much else to it, except for the one highlight, when my neighbor spoke about the night he came over and introduced himself [n245]. I was laying on the hide-a-bed at the time, and had to get up and get dressed. When I answered the door I gave myself a good stretch and sort of growled, like people often do. And I exclaimed, "I had to do that!" I don't think he knew I was in bed. When he gave his own impression of this—a very good one—I couldn't help but bust up laughing!

276  Having opted not to take the medication, I was faced with the inevitable, and left for the hospital the next day. I was diagnosed as bipolar, although if they knew all the details, it was probably closer to schizophrenia. I was originally scheduled to go to the state hospital in Salem, but because it was too full, I was taken to Dammasch instead, in Wilsonville, Oregon. And, as I like to say, "Dennis The Menace was off to see Mr. Wilson and pay him a visit!" Although it wasn't too funny back then. There was at least one other person scheduled to go. A younger person, around 20? he apparently had problems with drugs or, he was moderately retarded. But because of his behavior, I suspected it was drugs. Either way, he wasn't far from being a vegetable.

277  The next day we were packed into a station wagon and driven to the hospital. I sat in the middle seat by myself and he sat in the back seat. We were about halfway there when I fell asleep, only to re-awake with him leaning over me and, just like with the dog at home, the spirit came streaming out of my forehead—directly into his face! So much for trying to maintain this energy field while in the hospital! It was an ominous sign, and set the stage for many strange things to come. At the very least I'd have to rebuild the structure inside myself and then, try to keep my heaven from dissipating—and not let anyone molest my wife! Yet it was one more thing to suggest it was more than just the mind's imagery [n252-253].

278  This young man was like a big emotional sponge, as he sat next to you, drawing off your energy. Having already been sensitized to such things, I sensed something beforehand, but wasn't expecting this. He definitely got a charge out of the experience, and was soon treating me like his best buddy, or a meal? So I dealt with him coolly and tried to pretend like nothing happened, and tried not to give off any more energy. I hoped he wouldn't understand and would soon forget, causing it to dissipate. Yet it didn't work out that way, and I had to do my utmost to avoid him. He seemed unconsciously drawn towards me, and I couldn't stand being near him. While I heard other people making similar complaints as well.

House of Judgment

279  After the hearing, I began to portray the mental hospital as a large brick building or complex which, I called the House of Judgment. For I knew I would be up against the spirits of the underworld, and was preparing for the ultimate campaign, to conquer hell [n14:11]. What I determined had now become my main purpose, as well as maintain relations with my spiritual wife, and promote spiritual marriage. And so coincides with Dionysus who, when he first emerges, emerges from the underworld. Just another coincidence? As for the mental hospital, when we first drove up, there it was, a large brick complex! Wow! While it was the first time I'd ever been to a mental institution. And, while I ultimately didn't fare well, it speaks of what was to occur later, when I eventually came to terms with these things, and in effect conquered hell.

280  The first couple of hours involved getting processed and filling out the paperwork, as I prepared for the next six weeks. While I remember feeling weakened and drained from the experience in the car. I don't recall any orientation meeting, and we were soon shown to our section of one of the buildings. Once inside there was a large room, about 50' by 75', with benches and chairs and a TV suspended from the ceiling at one end. This was the general assembly area where people spent most of the day. On the far side were the two hallways leading into the showers and sleeping quarters, which joined to form a "U" at the end. Shortly afterwards I was shown to my bed, where I went to lay down before dinner and recoup my losses, and prepare my strategy for what lay ahead. And, draw up the battle lines.

281  One of the first things I did was declare war on the Soviet Union—to the tune of Stars And Stripes Forever! I understood they were heavily involved in psychic experiments and, with such an arsenal at my disposal, I gave them the ultimate wake-up call. It was quite a dramatic display—and colorful—with me pounding at the door! I was letting them know they weren't alone and, there was another power in this world. Which is funny, for I just finished writing about this, when only a few minutes later, the TV announced the soon to be aired Nova program, The Secrets Of The Psychics, and spoke of the Russian Psychics, specifically! It was the first time I had heard of it [n1:20]. And indeed, over the next few years, I declared war on the Soviet Union numerous times.

Taking the Medication

282  As for taking the medication, I did so voluntarily, for they had already locked me up against my will and effectively taken it away. So, why should I resist? It was my way of saying I don't agree. Besides, I would have been forced to take it, intravenously, which would have been most unpleasant! So like everyone else, I stood in line for meds twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. Some had to take theirs at lunch as well. As it was I thought my power was strong enough to counter the effects and, together with my technique, it took nearly a week before the images began to fade. While initially I was high as a kite!

283  One thing I should probably mention is the courtesy of the staff, at least those who were on duty in our dorm. For with all the hype and rhetoric gleaned from Roy Masters, this was the last thing I expected. But, they conducted themselves in a professional manner and struck me as being genuinely concerned. They were level-headed and friendly, and made their presence known, but stood off in the distance unless a crises arose. At which point they'd try to reason with the clients, and act as a buffer between them and the problem. They were never abusive and rarely used force, unless it was absolutely necessary. As a rule, they showed a general respect for everyone.

284  Even so, my experience there was not pleasant. Being away from home and not having any control was a start. It was at the onset of winter and was cold and gloomy, and I was locked up with 30-40 strange people I didn't know. And while many were scheduled to do things on the outside during the day, there wasn't much to do on the inside, except pace the empty hallways. Or lay down, which I did a lot of or, try and watch TV, which was pointless for I didn't have my glasses! [n267]. This also made everything else a blur, and enhanced my feelings of no control. And, although somebody eventually made the trip to get them, they brought back the pair I'd recently broken, just before the accident? with the missing lens and ear piece. I specifically requested the other pair and told them where to look, but they said they couldn't find them. So it wasn't a big improvement.

Being Warehoused

285  All in all it was like being warehoused, with its sense of futility and increasing despair. There weren't nearly enough resources to address mine or, anybody else's needs. Nor did I desire it. The focus seemed to center around administering drugs, by which it became a detainment center, where people were held and observed, to await processing to the outside world or elsewhere. And, with so much idle time on my hands, about the only thing to look forward to was eating. Which I did! The food was also quite starchy and I gained 15 pounds! And so in what follows, I was worse off for having gone there. Yet I believe most of it was necessary, in order to dislodge some of my—or Roy's—heretical views. ". . . behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried ten days . . ." Revelation 2:10

286  So I spent much of my time in bed, perhaps more so initially, when I began to stage the war in earnest and needed to keep up my energy levels. One of my earlier battles involved combating Jim Jones, his spirit, a modern day psychopath and Devil's henchman. It was a familiar theme of Roy Masters. And, although I didn't get much feedback, I figured it was the surest way to evoke the Devil. While I remember wielding my sword, Excaliber, the sword of conquest. Being from Merlin it seemed fitting that I make the connection. And, as I found out later, according to legend, it was fashioned from the spear that pierced Christ's side when He was crucified. And so it seems fitting that I portray it in ultimate terms. I spoke of the sword earlier when it was turned against me, with the sharks [n265]. While something similar happened in the hospital, for I hadn't yet mastered its force and had to suffer the effects. It was very intense, to feel it slice across my stomach.

287  One thing about all this mind's imagery, is this is what it primarily entailed, images or manifestations of my will. That is until the one experience involving my father below. And, although I occasionally got some feedback, which I truly desired, nothing compared to this. There were the spirits that were with me when the policeman came to the door [n262], yet they weren't images so much as they were part of my thoughts and feelings—intrinsically. While prior to this, before the accident, I had staged my grand scheme: of world conquest and, setting up a new order. In so doing I became the master coordinator, and began to develop numerous alliances, with people past and present. While I'm reminded of the strategies of Zeus, the master strategist himself, who couldn't have maintained rule without all his alliances. And, due to my experiences, I honestly thought people were tapping in, with their eyes glued to their TV sets—like me!

Alliance with Father

288  One alliance that seemed more significant involved my father, and his reconciliation with my mother, the first time I addressed his person in years. It was a catalytic idea, that brought his personality into focus. And no doubt contributed to what happened in the hospital, as I lay in bed portraying a new scenario: a giant spiritual recovery system, with its chain of alliances and related uses, for those desiring to go to heaven. I was trying to get the spirits to take the initiative, to set it up and maintain it. But it wasn't working, until one spirit stepped forward and took control. It was my father and, quite independently from me he said, "Can't you see what he's trying to do?" and took the whole line and advanced everything significantly further. It was really the first time this happened, and the last, and I was pleasantly surprised, for I wasn't expecting it. I'll speak more about this shortly [n289].

289  As for the other patients, there were too many unusual coincidences that were hard to ignore. One patient spoke of how he just talked to President Reagan, a familiar theme of mine, for he was a favorite hero and I felt I was in contact with him. He also began shouting about a dragon biting his head off. Remember the dragon earlier? [n258]. While I was surprised with the number of religious types there, prophesying their own peculiar brand of hate or fixation, and they would carry on and on. All of which caused me to doubt why I was there. After all, who was I?

290  Then there was the person I drove to the hospital with [n267], who went about wielding his sword. Which I couldn't help but think was my sword, imparted to him by the incident in the car. How strange? While at times he lay on the floor—almost unconsciously—and made like a fish swimming up stream. It was as if some big hand came down and guided him to do it. Who was he to be stealing my techniques? and, messing with my wife! And there was another patient who did the exact same thing! Who also carried on about UFO's sightings, and gave these long disturbing accounts about sightings from the air. I figured he may have been in the Air Force.

291  At one point I went around playing tag with the patients, unbeknownst to them, touching them on their backs and shoulders and imparting the spirit into them. I was trying to coordinate my efforts, and it seems this is what I was given to work with. They had become the medium.

Attempted Escape

292  I had been there about a week when I decided I had enough. The medication was taking effect and I was starting to come down. Fearful of losing my power, I had to do something drastic. It was right after dinner one night, after one of two the groups got back, that I made my move. Just as the last person walked through the door—which was always locked—I bolted through and ran down the hallway; which came to a tee as I turned right, and headed towards the door leading outside.

293  Assuming the door was locked, I pounded my fist through the window and opened it from the outside, and headed for the lawn between the buildings. I just stood there, waiting for President Reagan to arrive in his helicopter! He was supposed to be there! This is when I began to doubt why I was there. I stood there for a couple of minutes looking around, and wondered if I should try and make it to the freeway without my glasses. Then one of the staff members came up and asked if I was alright, and walked me back into the compound.

294  They put me in the isolation booth next to the staff's booth, and told me I had to sit there an hour or two, and show that I could behave. Which was easy enough, as I worked with the images in my mind, that is, until they let in the person I drove to the hospital with. He had already spent a lot of time there. I had actually done a good job of avoiding him until now, he was having too much fun with everyone else, but now there was no avoiding it. He was only there a few minutes and it was already unbearable, as he started to draw from me. I told him to stay the hell away, which only encouraged him, as he drew nearer. At which point I got up and raised me knee, as if gesturing to kick him, while threatening to punch him in the face. I was trying to get him to back off, not start a fight.

Strapped in Bed

295  This is in when the staff members came rushing in, and somehow we wound up in the hallway with four or five of them surrounding me. They were obviously trying to restrain me, and in only an instant a whole fight scene was outlined before me. Which was reflective of how my nerves were strung and, together with being in good shape, it would have been a formidable task. I could have done some real damage. Yet I opted not to fight, and although they didn't understand, I was still impressed by their earlier decency and didn't want to hurt them. So I went along passively and was locked up and strapped down to bed that night—one of the worst nights of my life!

296  Except for the ability to shift my torso slightly, and raise my hands and feet some, I couldn't project anything by making gestures, and had to rely almost exclusively on my will power and ability to coordinate the images in my mind. While the room was essentially dark, except for the low wattage light fixture on the ceiling overhead. And together with the whirring of the heat ventilator, it was too easy to imagine the spirits rushing in. While occasionally the door would rattle when a staff member peered in, which I mistook for a gang of thugs threatening to burst in and attack, before sodomizing—the feminine aspect I had so fervently cultivated—and murdering me. While occasionally I could hear one of the ladies shrieking in the other dorm, which seemed to coincide with something awful in my mind. This is where I thought it was coming from. How strange?

297  So the battle raged and the onslaught continued. I had just enough strength to prolong the battle, but not enough to maintain the advantage, and come morning I was overcome. While any alliance I had with my father was lost, as he too succumbed and became one of the bad guys. Yet there was one voluntary thing left I could do, which really brought on the grief. Urinate on them! This was my way of passing judgment and it was my last triumph. It was all downhill from there, as I began to get caught up in their snares, and the vultures began their descent. Later some of the staff came in to change the sheets and told me to call them the next time. Of course I didn't know they were available?

A Broken Spirit

298  The next morning they let me out and I was pretty much a broken spirit, and had given up the fight. This is when they then put me on prolixin, together with the lithium, which seriously affected my motor control. And so exemplifies my loss of free will and the heightened sense of futility and despair which followed. This was all prior to Christmas, for I remember being laid up in the general assembly area, in bed asleep, only to awaken to the most bewildering sound—of Christmas carolers! And I began to think, What is this marvelous sound? Where could I possibly be? before realizing what it was. And as much as I had been put off by such ceremonies before, thinking it trite and shallow, they were actually quite good, and it struck a deep chord within me.

299  While the one thing I alluded to about my father [n278] rang home on my 30th birthday, when I received a call from Dorothy, a friend of the family who I refer to in chapters 6 and 9, regarding The Wizard of Oz [n6:76] and Chief Joseph [n9:1]. She was calling for my mother, after calling the lady who managed the property and found out I was in the hospital, to wish me a happy birthday and tell me that my father died! And though she didn't give a specific time, it seems strange that it should occur about the time he stepped forward in my imagination! Maybe it was him?

300  It was also about the time I inquired about leaving the hospital, after approaching the woman who helped discharge the patients from Josephine County. She only came up once or twice a week and said it would have to wait until her next visit, the following week. She didn't have the time. She seemed personable enough and I felt I could hang in there a few more days and still keep my hopes up, just barely. When we finally did talk, she responded coolly, and said she didn't think I was ready but, I was showing signs of improvement. And she proceeded to tell me about my imagined affair with my neighbor's wife! This is when I found out what my boss said, for I hadn't divulged it to anyone else [n265]. So my hopes were dashed, with the prospect of completely losing my identity looming ahead.

A Cold Winter's Day

301  I don't recall much about what happened next, except that I managed to sink lower still, and come late January, when they finally decided it was time to leave, there was little left. It was a cold winter's day when everyone was ushered into the van. It was a five hour drive and they made three or four stops along the way. Being one of the last stops, they let me off at the house of the man where I had the accident. He owned a mobile home on some property in the country and was nice enough to hold onto my truck. It was the last thing I expected, for I figured it would have been impounded.

302  After walking up to the door I knocked and he let me in. I asked what happened to the van and he said it belonged to his lady friend, who he was no longer seeing. I said I was surprised to see he held onto my truck and he said it wasn't a problem. He had no visible animosity towards me. There wasn't much else said as I thanked him and walked outside. I don't recall if I wore my glasses, which really didn't matter, for I only had the broken pair with one eyepiece, that wouldn't stay on my face. The drive home was uneventful though, although I couldn't help but notice the thick layer of frost on the ground and, that it was very cold. When I got home the first thing I did was look for my other glasses, and sure enough I found them where I said they were, in the top drawer of the dresser.

303  The temperature was in the teens or twenties and remained that way for the next two or three weeks. It was something I wasn't accustomed to, considering my state of duress, and especially without any heat! I had no propane tank, nor money, and it was necessary to dig a 30' trench by hand for laying the propane line. The outlook looked grim. While during my first visit to the mental health services I inquired about assistance. They said they'd look into it for me and soon referred me to the appropriate agency. Lo and behold when I went to apply, there was my next door neighbor from the mobile home park at my seventh residence [n148], working there part time! We said hi and chatted a bit and the other lady proceeded to help me. Aside from this, there was no visible animosity between us, though she seemed a little weary.

The Outpatient Program

304  The mental health agency also suggested I get involved with their outpatient program, and I said I would consider it, although it was the last thing I wanted to do. But, as time dragged on, it began to look more appealing. It was extremely difficult dealing with the isolation, with all this time by myself and nothing to do. Anything was preferable to sitting around and rotting away. So I began digging the 250' trench for the phone line, to give me something to do during the day, and to help alleviate the isolation once it was installed, and call somebody if need be. Yet it was a horrific job. It had to be at least 3' deep the full length, the temperature was typically below freezing and the soil was full of rocks, nor did I have the stamina after getting back from the hospital. All of which affected a very morbid outlook. As it was I could only manage it for two or three hours a day—if at all—and it took several weeks to complete. It was during this period that I contemplated suicide, many times.

305  In mid February I believe, I opted to enter the program, hoping to escape my predicament. Yet it was far from ideal. The program was only scheduled twice a week, a few hours a day, and I was still faced with the prospect of what to do with myself the rest of the week. Nor could I agree with the typical attitude of the staff, with all the condescending hype, threats, badgering and belittlement. And, although it may be the prevailing attitude on how to treat the mentally ill? it had been a long time since I was treated so childishly. It wasn't the same level of professionalism I saw at the hospital. As it was, many of the staff were former clients, and the crippling effects of their problems was apparent, though these weren't the ones I seemed to have a problem with. They were more like drones.

306  Of course most of the clients were already accustomed to this, the twisted and tortured souls that they were, having caved into the demands of the system and becoming wards of the state. This was just as disturbing and difficult to deal with. While the overriding attitude was to get you to conform. I guess they were afraid something would go wrong and they'd lose the control they didn't really have. And being accustomed to my own freedom, I couldn't agree with it intellectually, and felt trapped and backed against the wall. So I went along reluctantly and kept my reserve. Even so it was some relief, and was preferable to staying at home, though I continued to think about suicide and struggle with the damnation of my soul.

Roy Masters

307  Which brings up Roy Masters, for throughout this period I didn't say a word about him. It was hard enough to defend against the personal assault, let alone deal with any possible anti-Roy sentiments. For these were the powers that be, as Roy continued to stress, and Roy was generally considered a cultist. I wasn't prepared to fight them on both fronts, figuring it would be just what they needed to tamper and pry, and possibly see it as an opportunity to deprogram one of Roy's people. With two philosophies so diametrically opposed, I couldn't afford to take the risk. Needless to say I was very closed up.

308  While it's interesting that one of the first things they had me do was crack walnuts: a group activity where the clients cracked the nuts and put them in bags, and were paid a dollar a pound. Which I see as highly symbolic, for after shaking the walnuts from the tree at work [n208], before going to the hospital [n264], it was now time to get to the meat of the matter, and find out there really is life beyond Roy Masters—i.e., Roy was English and these were English walnuts [n1:30]. It also portrays my own predicament, for I had surrounded myself with a tough exterior shell, like the walnut, and the interior was hard to reach. I speak of the walnut's significance to Roy Masters further in chapter 13 [n29].